The first weeks and months after a baby’s birth or adoption can be highly challenging. New parents may live far from their families. Friends may not have the time nor be able to offer the kinds of support needed.
I completed training in 2008 and am certified as a postpartum doula through DONA International. My education and doula training, fifteen years as an Infant/Toddler teacher and experience raising two children have all contributed to my ability to understand and meet the needs of new families. Among many things, I offer tips for successful breastfeeding, baby soothing techniques and strategies for alleviating sleep deprivation. This kind of useful information and emotional support reduces the incidence of postpartum depression and quickly increases confidence in new parents. It is a pleasure to provide the following individualized postpartum services:
In Home Support Services for New Parents
Newborn Related Services:
- Breastfeeding assistance – latch, positioning, comfort measures, transitioning from nipple shields
- Bathing, feeding, dressing diapering
- Baby soothing techniques that REALLY WORK – includes swaddling, baby carriers & wraps
- Strategies for increasing infant and parent sleep
- Information about infant needs and behaviors
- Help caring for twins, triplets and siblings
- Care for your baby so that you can nap
- Infant massage
- Emotional support
- Light household tidying, laundry, dish washing
- Grocery shopping, errands
- Simple meal preparation
- Support services (books, DVDs)
- Referrals & local resources to fit your needs
Time frames for postpartum visits are typically 3 – 5 hours, one to several days a week. Length of time for services may be as brief as one or two visits, up to several days a week for several months. Clients are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis, so advance scheduling is recommended. Gift certificates are available.
Please contact me for more information.